Social Skills Program for Autistic Children
This program is not running currently
“Social Skills” is a buzz word we have to use so that you will find us in a search. What we teach in this social programme for Autistic children is self advocacy skills by creating a space where Autistic children can connect with other likeminded children and build their confidence and social skills.
Sessions include movement, discussion and activity so your child won’t be sitting at the screen for 40 mins.
Our programme is Neurodiversity-affirming and our ethos is centred around validating and supporting our clients. The idea that Autistic children and adults lack social skills was an inaccurate one. Current research shows that Autistic people have a social communication unique to us. Just like non-autistic people do. Our skills are not faulty or deficient but are just different to the majority of typical people.
Over the 12 weeks we tailor our programme to cover various topics which address the unique needs of our clients. This means we support children and teens in our weekly online sessions to develop a positive sense of self and pride in there Autistic identity. For parents and guardians we provide resources each week by email which complement your child’s learning and explain communication, behaviour and feelings from the Autistic perspective.
“Konnect Program has been phenomenal for Jack .
It has done so much for him in regards self esteem and confidence, keep up the good work.” (Jack age 11)
Our social skills programme online for Autistic children does not approach teaching non-autistic social skills as the gold standard. Instead we give children and young people opportunities to explore their own communication, make new friends and learn how to advocate for themselves and to interpret non-autistic language and culture.
“loves his chats each week with Orla and his new friends. It’s great to have a space where he can choose how much he wants to participate and always feel included” (Jakob, 10 )
This program is not running currently
Class Schedule Greewich Mean Time GMTSee when our online classes take place in GMT
|7-9 Years||10-12 Years||13-15 Years||16-18Years|
Class Schedule Australian Eastern Time AETSee when our online classes take place in AET
|7-9 Years||10-12 Years||13-15 Years|
Class Schedule Pacific Standard Time PSTSee when our online classes take place in PST
|7-9 Years||10-12 Years||13+ Years|
What makes our social skills course unique?
This social skills programme for Autistic children and their families has been designed by Evaleen, founder of Konfident Kidz. Evaleen is Autistic and has developed this course to teach children a language used by non-autistic people while maintaining a strong sense of self and developing skills to explain their way of communicating, thinking and interacting to other people.
Our weekly online sessions are delivered through zoom by Orla. Orla has been delivering and developing our Konnect programme since 2016. Orla is a proud Neurodivergent educator who is passionate about empowering her clients.
- Evaleen designed this course based on her own experience of growing up, she has included what she feels will help children best to understand and respond to other people around them.
- Evaleen is also very much involved in the Autistic Community and has found much of her experience in growing up is reflected in other adults in the community. Her work is internationally recognised and recommended by leading professionals around the world.
- The course is not just for the kids either! We’ll be sending parents and guardians some work to do also! We recognise how important a good social environment is for children and teens so we’ll provide you with resources that you can use at home, with extended family and schools. That way the people around your child have a better understanding of Autistic communication. read more here
- This course respects the different ways Autistic children communicate.
- This course respects the different learning systems that children have.
- This autism course for kids is designed so that children have fun while they are learning in a way that suits them.
- It is taught through movement, discussion and practice and activity so your child won’t be sitting at the screen for 40 mins.
Want to know more?
Why not sign up to our mailing list?
What kind of things do we teach
What we teach kids and teens :
- Understanding different communication styles
- How to self-advocate
- Standing up for myself
- Establishing Healthy Boundaries
- Working Together
- Figurative use of language
- Conflict Resolution
- Developing Good Friendships not just friendships
- Relaxation Exercises
- Non-Verbal Communication
What we teach parents :
- Tips on improving communication with your child for parents, family and schools
- What is Stimming
- Myths around Autistic social skills
- Assisting your child to be themselves
- Resources for siblings
- Resources for your child’s school
- Supporting healthy boundaries
- Presuming competence/ giving responsibility
- Supporting your child to embrace their Autistic Identity
Here is what parents are saying about our Konnect Program
Our Konnect Program has been running in Cork since 2015 and it has received great feedback. We are now running these autism social skills classes online through zoom to Autistic kids and teens all over the world. (well english speaking countries so far but we’re working on that too!)
Orla is wonderful! My son looks forward to not only his 1:1 sessions, but also the group sessions with his peers.
Recently he has been going through some tough times, and she is so supportive to help him navigate those challenges, to help him build his confidence and just be a safe adult to talk things through with!
I can’t say enough about how important she is for his overall emotional well-being. And how much I appreciate her for that!
How it works:
We’ll send a video link from our teachers so that your child will know who and what to expect from class in advance.