“Social Skills” is a buzz word we have to use so that you will find us in a search. What we teach in this experience is in fact communication or what we like to call “non-autistic language”. It is the ONLY course of its kind.
What makes this unique?
-it has been designed by Evaleen, founder of Konfident Kidz. Evaleen is autistic and has developed this course to teach children a language used by non-autistic people.
- Evaleen designed this course based on her own experience of growing up, she has included what she feels will help children best to understand and respond to other people around them.
- Evaleen is also very much involved in the Autistic Community in Ireland and has found much of her experience in growing up is reflected in other adults in the community.
- This course respects the different ways autistic children communicate.
- This course respects the different learning systems that children have.
- This experience is designed so that children have fun while they are learning in a way that suits them.
- It is taught through movement and practice and activity.
Our Konnect Program has been running since 2015 and it has received great feedback.
How it works:
Choose your venue and preferred time but please note that on week 1 we will meet all the children signed up for that venue and group them into 2/3 groups for their next 11 weeks. The time you sign up for may change depending on the group your child is allocated. Therefore please keep 45 mins on either side of that time free in your timetable so that you can make the time of the class given out on week 1.
What kind of things do we teach?
- All about me
- How to self-advocate
- Body Language
- Figurative use of language
- How other use their voices to communicate feeling
- Basic Introductions & interactions
- Vocal Volume
- Clever words to choose
- Conflict Resolution
- Developing Good Friendships not just friendships
- Relaxation Exercises
- Non-Verbal Communication (besides body language)
- Recognising “social mistakes”
- Coping with “social mistakes”