“Social Skills” is a buzz word we have to use so that you will find us in a search. What we teach in this class is in fact communication or what we like to call “non-autistic language”. It is the ONLY course of its kind. The idea that Autistic children and adults lack social skills was an inaccurate one. Current research shows that Autistic people have a social communication unique to us. Just like non-autistic people do. Our skills are not faulty or deficient but are just different to the majority of typical people.
Our social skills classes online for Autistic children do not approach teaching non-autistic social skills as the gold standard. Instead we give children and young people opportunities to explore their own communication, make new friends and learn how to advocate for themselves and to interpret non-autistic language and culture.
What makes our social skills course unique?
-it has been designed by Evaleen, founder of Konfident Kidz and AUsome Training .Evaleen is Autistic and has developed this course to teach children a language used by non-autistic people.
- Evaleen designed this course based on her own experience of growing up, she has included what she feels will help children best to understand and respond to other people around them.
- Evaleen is also very much involved in the Autistic Community and has found much of her experience in growing up is reflected in other adults in the community.
- This course respects the different ways Autistic children communicate.
- This course respects the different learning systems that children have.
- This autism course for kids is designed so that children have fun while they are learning in a way that suits them.
- It is taught through movement, discussion and practice and activity.
Our Konnect Program has been running in Cork since 2015 and it has received great feedback. We are now running these autism social skills classes online.
How it works:
Choose your preferred class time and we will send you a link to join the class on zoom closer to the start date.
What kind of things do we teach?
- All about me
- How to self-advocate
- Body Language
- Figurative use of language
- How other use their voices to communicate feeling
- Basic Introductions & interactions
- Vocal Volume
- Clever words to choose
- Conflict Resolution
- Developing Good Friendships not just friendships
- Relaxation Exercises
- Non-Verbal Communication (besides body language)
- Recognising “social mistakes”
- Coping with “social mistakes”
Now Enrolling for 18th Sept 2021
|Saturday||online||9.30am to 10.10am GMT||5 to 8 years|
|Saturday||online||10.20am to 11am GMT||9 to 12 years|
|Saturday||online||11.10am to 11.50 am GMT||5 to 8 years|
|Saturday||online||12 noon to 12.40pm GMT||9 to 12 years|
|Saturday||online||1pm to 1.40pm GMT||13 to 15 years|
|Saturday||online||2.20pm to 3pm GMT||16 to 18 years|
|Wednesday||online||3.30pm to 4pm GMT||5 to 8 years|
|Wednesday||online||4.10pm to 4.50 pm GMT||9 to 12 years|
|Wednesday||online||5 pm to 5.40pm GMT||13 to 15 years|
|Wednesday||online||6 pm to 6.40pm GMT||16 to 18 years|